Friday, July 11, 2008

Edamame, Pickled Ginger, and Seaweed Salad

Here's the second recipe of three that I cooked while taping some new PBS shows. Like most of my recipes, this is more of an idea than an exact recipe. Use your judgement.

I put a piece of grilled tuna on this salad on the show. I often serve this salad with tuna sashimi, seared wild sockeye salmon, or lightly grilled hamachi.

Edamame are often called "edible soybeans" and I often wonder what that is. Aren't all soybeans edible? Look for the boiled, shelled young soybeans in the freezer section at your grocery store. To prepare the frozen beans for this salad, I pour them frozen from the bag into a colander and run water over them for a few seconds to defrost.

Edamame, Pickled Ginger, and Seaweed Salad

1 pound edamame, shelled
1 c seaweed salad
1/2 c pickled ginger (gari), roughly chopped
1 T mirin
1 t shiroshoyu (white soy) or substitute any soy
1 t ponzu
1 t sesame oil
1 t black sesame seeds or substitute any sesame seeds

Mix well, season to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment