Thursday, September 13, 2012

Alien Ingredient #38: Lentil Shoots

Lentil Shoots: A Beautiful Garnish
One of my growers brought me a flat of microgreens that I had never seen before and asked me, "What is it?" I tasted a couple shoots and they start a touch bitter then finish distinctly green chickpea. Some tasters said they tasted like green peas, but these sprouts taste more chickpea to me. And they look like a legume as well. She told us that these are lentil shoots.

Vote: with a beautiful texture and a pleasant pea flavor, what's not to love?

2 comments:

  1. Chef,

    I continue to learn so much from this series. Lentil shoots- a great addition to our winter microgreen mix! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be of service! These could quickly become one of my favorite micros, but we are having some issues with their longevity just now. We're still learning how to keep them.

    ReplyDelete