Sunday, October 5, 2008

Calling All Oyster Fans!

I have just heard about a way that you home chefs and oyster lovers can win 4 dozen oysters from Marx Foods. To sweeten the deal, if the winner is one of my customers, I'll shuck the oysters!

Marx Foods is offering live oysters from Puget Sound, a dozen each of Pacific, Kumamoto, Virginica, and Olympia oysters to be delivered at the winner's convenience up until the New Year. While we have some fabulous east coast oysters (Virginia's own Chincoteagues from Tom's Cove are briny amazing, if a bit fragile to shuck), the Pacific Northwest is home to some equally wonderful oysters such as the tiny Olympias and the small Kumamotos. If you love oysters and have never tasted these oysters, put it on your must-do list.

To win, all you need to do is to post a comment between now and October the 19th on the Marx Foods blog stating what you would do with the oysters if you won. That's not so hard is it?

Well, in my case, it might be. First, I'm a professional chef, so I won't be getting involved in a contest aimed at home chefs, but second, my comment would involve a bottle of Dom Pérignon and several X-rated details that wouldn't be fit for publication. ;)

The blog readers will vote on the winning entry between the 20th and the 24th of October. I'm guessing that the winning comment will not involve cooking the oysters. That's just my hunch as an oyster lover. Why waste a perfectly good live oyster by cooking it?

Disclaimer: I buy from the wholesale company of which Marx Foods is the retail arm. I came across this contest on their web site. I get nothing out of this. I just thought it would be fun to see some of my customers enter the contest and perhaps win.

No comments:

Post a Comment