Thursday, October 9, 2008

On Liking What You Cook

I alluded to cooking those things that you like to eat in my post yesterday on Grand Marnier soufflés: when you cook things you are passionate about, the passion comes through.

And the converse is also very true. I remember some years ago during shad roe season, several of my customers were complaining vociferously to me in my dining room about the terrible quality of shad roe at another local restaurant. By the way, I'm not a big fan of hearing how bad my competition is; rather than dish on the competition, I wish my customers would have good things to say. It's better for us all that way.

Anyway, I went to the other restaurant and told the chef, "You ought to know that people are really complaining about your shad roe." And he said, "The owner makes me cook it; I hate that shit!"

Obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment