Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Pickles on the Hoof

I'm always making some kind of pickles (see Dill Pickles and Zanahorias en Escabeche) to accompany the charcuterie that I make in house and when I ran across this cornucopia this morning at the market, I knew I had to start a new batch of dill pickles today.

At the top of the photo, the small round yellow cucumbers are called Lemon Cucumbers and just below that are the standard European/Burpless/English cucumbers we call Eurocukes. Below and to the right, the pale green ones are Armenian cucumbers, which I have read do not make good pickles: we shall see. At the bottom left are typical small pickling cucumbers that the vendor called Tiny Toms. These are about half the size of a typical Kirby pickling cucumber.

We'll know how this batch of pickles turns out in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment