Thursday, June 19, 2008

Grumpy People

The restaurant business is generally very rewarding: it's an awesome feeling when everyone in the dining room is having a great time. Let's face it, that's why we do what we do, why we work when others celebrate, why we give up our lives for this business. So that others can have a good time.

But there are those days that try our souls. If you are or have been in the business, you know exactly what I am talking about.

Yesterday was one such day when the negative energy in the dining room was palpable. Both lunch and dinner were miserable experiences for my staff and me. All the tables, and there were many of them, were in evil frames of mind. They were rude, impolite, and two tables made me want to throw them out on the street.

Why is it that on some days, some customers forget everything they know about civility and about the Golden Rule? Why do they behave in a manner that, if they were my children, they would be grounded with no privileges for a very long time? What gives them the right, just because they are grumpy, to be total jerks?

And, finally, why is being a jerk so contagious?

To end this rant, I don't work sixteen-hour days so you can come vent your spleen just because somebody peed in your cereal. If you're having a day like that, just stay home. If you feel the need to act in a manner that would not be appropriate at my house, don't do it at my restaurant.

Thank you, all you wonderful customers. Most of the time you make me forget about the jerks. Just not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment