Thursday, June 12, 2008

Wow!

I have a fairly jaded palate. I'm around top quality restaurant food every day; I read a lot of food rags; we talk a lot of food; and, naturally, I eat out when I get the chance to see what others are doing. So, it is a rare day when something makes me go, "Wow!"

But this morning, I couldn't say "Wow!" enough to a dish that I have been mulling over in my head for a while, but have just got around to testing in the kitchen.

I made some sausage of Kurobuta (heirloom Berkshire) pork, the last of our local storage apples, sage, and various other seasonings. Then I boned out a saddle of rabbit (that is, I pulled the two loins off the backbone, leaving them joined together) and stuffed the rabbit with the sausage, rolled it, wrapped it in caul fat to keep the very lean rabbit moist, browned it all over, and roasted it.

Twelve minutes in the oven, five minutes resting, and "Wow!" It was so good that there was nothing left within seconds—I'm a greedy little pig. Happy Ed. Very Happy Ed. Wow!

Now appearing Thursday through Saturday, Kurobuta Pork-Stuffed Saddle of Rabbit, until I run out of rabbits. Come and get yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment