Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Another Gherkin

I have a very curious palate. If it's new to me, I want to taste it. I operate from the point of view that chances are very good that I will like a new food. This is a contrarian position to that of most people whom I encounter: if it's new, they're not eager to try it because they might not like it. And so, I have a very, very tiny list of things that I don't care to eat and an almost infinitesimal list of things that I won't eat.

Take a good look at this joker: another gherkin from Mark Bishop at Master's Touch in Berkeley Springs, WV, this one about the size of a small egg.



The reason I asked you to take a good look at it is because I just added to the list of things that I don't care ever to eat again. It had all three of us who tasted it running as fast as we could for the trashcans to spit it out. Although I am a fan of bitter foods, such as bitter melons, this was so bitter that my mouth still tastes nothing but bitter 30 minutes after having tasted this gherkin. Nasty. Nasty. Nasty.

This experience will not tame my restless palate. As soon as I can taste again, I'll be off searching for the next new food experience.

3 comments:

  1. I like your approach to new foods. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to adopt it for my own. Till then I'll let you try the nasty cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I are the opposite of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_neophobia

    ReplyDelete
  3. neophagic restlessmess. Is this a new cobdition, or does it go back to horizontal gourmandaise?

    ReplyDelete